What is GS mark?
GS means “Geprüfte Sicherheit” in German (safety has been certified), and it also means “Germany Safety” in the marketing perspective. GS certification is based on the German Product Safety Law (GPGS) and is a voluntary certification for testing in accordance with the European Union standard EN or the German industrial standard DIN. It is a recognized German safety certification mark in the European market.
What are GS mark Germany requirements?
The GS certification mark indicates that the safety of the product has been tested by an independent organization with credibility. Although the GS certification mark is not a legally mandatory requirement, it can indeed bind the manufacturer to confirm to strict German (European) product safety laws when the product fails and causes an accident. Therefore, the GS mark is a powerful market tool that can enhance customers’ confidence and desire to product purchase. Although GS is a German standard, most European countries recognize this. And while meeting the GS certification, the products will also meet the requirements of the European Community’s CE mark. Unlike CE, the GS certification mark is not legally required, but because the safety awareness has penetrated ordinary consumers, an electrical appliance with GS certification mark may be more competitive than ordinary CE products in the European market. Generally, GS-certified products are sold at higher unit prices and are more popular.
What are significances of GS mark
The necessities and significances of GS certification are:
1. GS, as a symbol of product safety and reliable quality, has been more widely recognized by consumers in Germany and the European Union;
2. Minimize the manufacturer’s liability risk in terms of product quality;
3. Enhance manufacturers’ confidence in product quality, safety, and compliance with legal requirements;
4. Emphasize to consumers the manufacturer’s obligations for product quality and safety;
5. The manufacturer can ensure to the end user that the product with the GS mark has passed the test of the third-party testing agency;
6. In many cases, the quality and safety of products affixed with the GS mark exceeds the level required by law;
7. The GS mark can obtain a higher degree of recognition than the CE mark, because the GS certificate is issued by a third-party testing organization with certain qualifications.
Applicable product range of GS mark
- Household appliances, such as refrigerators, washing machines, kitchen appliances, etc.
- Household machinery.
- Sports goods.
- Household electronic equipment, such as audio-visual equipment.
- Electrical and electronic office equipment, such as copiers, fax machines, paper shredders, computers, printers, etc.
- Industrial machinery, experimental measurement equipment.
- Other safety-related products such as bicycles, helmets, ladders, furniture, etc.
GS mark application process
- Application: The applicant submits the documents that meet the requirements. For electrical products, it is necessary to submit the product assembly drawings, electrical schematic diagrams, material lists, product usage or use installation instructions, descriptions of differences between series models and other documents.
- Sample test: The test will be carried out in accordance with the applicable standards and can be carried out in the manufacturer’s laboratory (upon agreement) or any laboratory of the inspection agency located in various countries.
- Factory inspection: GS certification requires safety-related procedural inspections on production sites.
- Issuing GS certificate by supervisor in Germany.
GS mark Application check-list (take electrical appliance as an example)
- Application Form
- General Agreement
- CB certificate and report of the product
- Product manual
- Parts list
- Circuit diagram and layout
- Product structure diagram
- Specifications of transformers and other parts
- Electromagnetic compatibility assessment report (EMC) and Declaration of Conformity (DOC) of the manufacturer
- German manual
- Samples for serials production before shipment
Non-EU manufacturer needs to appoint an European representative to fulfill the obligation of GS mark application and GS mark holder. EU-REP-Service.de would like to be your reliable and trustworthy compliance solution partner for GS mark European Representative. Contact us for free GS mark certification consulting!