Skip to content

EU Responsible Person FAQ

Do all products require a responsible person in the EU?

First, confirm whether your product is subject to CE marking regulations. Common goods bearing the CE mark such as toys and games, televisions/audios, personal protective equipment, machinery, construction goods, gas equipment, leisure and personal watercraft, pressure vessels, and measuring equipment, all requiring an EU Responsible Person / EU Authorized Representative.

How to designate an EU Responsible Person?

Some options to designate an EU Responsible Person that should be considered:

  1. If you have a subsidiary in the EU or an import agent in the EU, you can designate them as the EU Responsible Person.
  2. Third party service provider may provide EU Responsible Person services.

How long does the EU authorized representative procedure take?

Under normal circumstances, the procedure can be finished within a week.

What are the scope of services of an EU authorized representative / EU Responsible Person?

1. Collect the Declaration of Conformity (DoC) or Declaration of Performance (DoP) for the product and ensure that the manufacturer (inclusive brand owner) can provide other documents as required, in a language understood by the authority, to demonstrate that the product complies with EU requirements.

2. Inform the market authority of any risks arising from the commodity.

3. Cooperate with market regulators, including ensuring that branded product owners take necessary corrective actions to correct any non-compliance.

4. In addition, the contact information of the responsible person needs to be displayed on the product or its packaging, package or accompanying documents.

What does Authorized Representative or EU Responsible Person mean to non-EU based sellers?

If you sell products that are CE marked and manufactured outside the EU, you need to ensure that such products have a responsible person located in the EU by July 16, 2021. After July 16, 2021, it is illegal to sell CE-marked goods in the EU without a responsible person located in the EU.

Thus, as new regulations have been implemented, you need to make sure that your CE-marked products have the contact information of EU responsible person. Such labels can be placed on merchandise, merchandise packaging, packages, or accompanying documents.

Want to know more about the cost and procedure of EU responsible person or EU authorized representative service? Contact us for free consulting.